25 May 2009

Introducing...

... our little Alice. She arrived at 3:06am on Tuesday, May 19th. She weighed in at 7 lbs 15 oz (our biggest one yet, but only by an ounce) and was 20 1/2 inches long.


We'll give you the quick version, as I'm sure none of you (particularly the men) are interested in all the details! I started into labor Monday afternoon, yet still had a lot to do! I ran downtown to deliver something, pick up Jeff, and eventually, we dropped the kids off at the Hillmans. This picture was taken right before the kids were to go to Grandma and Grandpa's and they were a little excited about everything. I was excited too, and as you can see, very pregnant!


The whole thing went pretty smoothly, even when we thought my contractions weren't coming fast enough and we might be going home (which I had come to peace with), the doctor decided he didn't want to send me home if I was already nearing a 5. He broke my water and we were on with it! We always do a post-epidural "feeling like a million bucks" picture because honestly... being numb feels like a million bucks after working through all those contractions. Especially after your water is broken. Ouch.


About 4 hours later, she was born and I was SO thrilled to hear that little cry. She was just perfect.


Alice was our first baby born in the middle of the night, and we were exhausted! We had the best nurse who just took care of everything and thank goodness, because some of it is still a little blurry. We all slept once we were up in the recovery room, but I couldn't wait for my kids to come early that morning so they could meet her. I'd promised Jack he would be the first one to hold her after Jeff and me. They were SO excited. As you can see my mom just brought them, pajamas and all, and I was glad she did. I missed my kids all night long, but I was so glad they were at home in their own beds.


If I was worried about anything, it was how Jane would receive not being the littlest anymore. Much to our relief, she's been completely protective and attentive to little Alice. She doesn't like when we have to take her away (which could mean out of the house to a doctor's appointment or just out of her arms), and she loves to check on her while she's napping. Jane and Jack both want to be by her as much as possible which does make it hard when I'm trying to feed her, but I wouldn't change a thing! Notice Jack's mischievous face in this photo... the kids loved that hospital bed!


The hospital care was fantastic at Intermountain Medical Center, but I couldn't wait to get home to my own bed, my kids, and nurses not coming in every couple of hours to check my vitals. Enough already! So, we left the next day and it felt SO good to be home! Especially since my Alice was coming home for the first time. After we named her, my mom went home that night at embroidered this little blanket for her. Very fun.


Jeff's been off for the week and it's been so nice to all be together as we start the adjustment. The kids have loved the company and have done well with all the changes. They loved playing in the sprinklers in this beautiful weather, and I loved that we can enjoy an almost-done backyard where my kids stay close by! I remember loving when it got above 80 degrees (my mom's requirement) and we could run through the sprinklers.


Alice, overall, has been my healthiest child yet. She passed all her tests the first time and we just learned today that her billiruben count is low enough that she won't need lights to fight off her mild jaundice. We had to do lights for a few days with both of the others, so this was a special surprise! But, we did need to take her to the lab yesterday to get her count checked, so we decided to make it our first family outing and picnic at a nearby park afterward. It was such a beautiful day, and the Murray park was the perfect place. They had a really unique playground, ducks along the little river, lots of shade, and plenty of space for Jack and Jeff to throw the frisbee. It was so nice to be OUT! I can't stay in very long and keep my sanity! Alice slept in her seat the whole time and we got home just in time for her to eat (it takes me a while to master the art of discreet public feeding each time!). It worked out perfectly. Jane LOVED this spinning ring and stayed on it most of the time. There were all kinds of spinning toys here, I kept waiting to see someone get sick, but everyone was having a great time!


I love Sundays. Today was no different, except Alice and I didn't get to attend church, of course! Jeff and I got the kids ready and as I was scrambling to iron Jeff's shirt (we're so out of our routine!) and get things ready, I let Jack watch Alice for me. I could hear him and Jane from the laundry room singing something to her, and as I got closer, I realized they were both singing "Feliz Navidad". Why? I have no idea, but she wasn't complaining! Alice is SO lucky to have an older brother and sister.


Overall, we're doing really well. We feel really blessed to have such wonderful families who are so concerned with our well-being. Jack and Jane have loved being with Grandparents and cousins through all of this and I'm sure it's helped make this whole change a lot smoother. I am feeling quite good and am looking forward to getting back into a routine as Jack starts school on Tuesday.

More than anything, I've been overwhelmed by feelings of absolute gratitude for our little Alice. She's already become such an important part of our family. When she was gone for a lab test with Jeff the other day, Jack was complaining that it was "just like before" because she was gone. I didn't think we were so bad off before, but he's right, it's even better now. As he was holding her the other day, he even confessed that he felt bad that he had said he wanted a baby brother because he loved Alice so much. It's amazing what a six year old can feel and express.

When Jack was born, I remember being SO excited for all the things he would get to do in the coming years. I was anticipating all his firsts, and although I loved him as a baby, it seems like I was so excited for him to grow up! Now, since I have two kids who are older, I just want Alice to stay little. Can she just stay one week old for longer than a week? I just can't get enough of my almost-edible child. She lets me kiss her endlessly and reminds me of everything good. I know I can't keep her little, so when I really think about it, I do look forward to watching her little personality develop as she gets older. Wish me luck as Jeff returns to work this week and reality sets in! Mother of three... really?

20 comments:

Karen said...

Mindy, Jeff, Jack and Jane,
Congratulations on your newest addition. She's absolutely gorgeous and I love seeing photos of such a proud big brother and big sister. Hope to someday meet little Alice when we return from Thailand. Karen, Sara and George

Nielson Family said...

Oh Please! Could she be any cuter? She is just gorgeous, & is a pleasant mix of both Jack's & Jane's little look. We absolutely LOVE her name! I'm sure you know that it reminds us of our sweet, never-to-be-forgotten Alice Quan. Boy are we going to miss her & that wonderful family!

I'm so happy that all went well for you. Healthy mommy & baby is the best way for it to be.

Congratulations sweet Mommy!! We can't wait to see all of you. Until then, please kiss all 3 of your adorable kids for us!

Love you to pieces!

Emily said...

Your kids are darling with her! i love the Feliz Navidad! She'll just keep bringing more joy to all of you with each stage. Congrats!

Rachael said...

Congratulations Hillman family. Alice is so adorable. I am glad everything went well and that Jack and Jane are adjusting well.

napa-dipu said...

Dear mindy,
Congratulations : ) I and Dipu, we see new member of Hillman , She so cute, perfect, and lovely, Wow!
Love your family too much ,
Napa & Dipu :)

Malia said...

Oh, she is SO cute! Although, I never doubted she'd be beautiful - you two have darn cute kids! Congratulations and give her a kiss for me (Alice is a DARLING name!).

Jason and Shannon Salmon said...

She is beautiful! Congratulations. I am glad it all went well. Both of my girls were born in the middle of the night. It is a killer...huh!!

Kami said...

Mindy, you will do great as a mom of three! If you ever need someone to keep the big kids busy, we're not very far away! Alice is SO adorable! Does she have a middle name? We're so happy for you!

Unknown said...

If anyone can seamlessly move into being a mother of 3, it's YOU! She is so precious and we can't wait to see her again! Love you.

byufish said...

What a cute little girl! No doubt you two have cute genes just overflowing in your genetic makeup...seriously...her older sister and brother are wonderfully cute...and the personality...oh, now THAT'S what you want to see develop! Can't wait to read about Alice's cute little songs that she'll be singing, and what fun games she comes up with and what her older brother and sister deem important enough to teach her...this is going to be such a FUN ride for you and Jeff!! Love ya! (PS-will you be coming back to the OTS or will this baby girl just want you home all the time? Tough decision...but know that I'll miss spotting you in the first violin section!)

Lori said...

She is adorable. Congratulations! I love that we get to see all the darling pictures. You look great and I'm sure you'll do great as a mom of three. Hugs, Lori

bevany said...

Congratulations! She is so cute! Good luck with the transition to three, it was rough on me. Your kids seem like they'll be a great help though. What a cute family you have!

Erin Leigh said...

oh boy, what a cutie! and hey, she's got quite a bit of hair too it looks like, hooray! :) i'm so happy for you and can't wait to meet her. i would love to get together soon, i'll be in touch...

Charlene said...

CONGRATULATIONS! What a cutie! and Mindy, you look fabulous! wishing you a great recovery and lots of sleep, hugs and kisses!
charlene day

Jennifer said...

oh my beautiful-ness!!!! i want to photograph her. Where do you live again?

Thunrada said...

She's so beautiful!!! I love her name. I love how Jack & Jane are so excited about her. I love your family!

mysomedaylist said...

Wow! Alice is beautiful. We just brought home our own new baby boy, Ellis, born the day after Alice. Seeing how much you are up and doing reminds me how different a c-section is. A picnic in the park already! Way to go. You will be a terrific mother of 3. We should all get together sometime this summer.

Adri said...

Congrats! It was such a fun surprise to get to chat with you on the phone the other day. Obviously Grandma didn't want to talk to me! :)

Alice is a beauty! I love love love that top picture! We can't wait to see her in person!

JaMie HeApS said...

oh you are in for some fun a mother of three is quite a treat. she gorgouse mindi good work.

Tamie said...

Congratulations you guys. I always thought "delivery" was the perfect name for the process. I'm glad you're delivered and everyone is looking great.
We'd love to bbq and swim if you're up for it later in the summer.