20 December 2006

The mind of my 3 year old...

I couldn't resist sharing how fun it is to have such a sneaky 3 year old in our home! He definitely keeps me on my toes, especially this time of year! He actually found his Christmas gift from Santa in what we thought was a genius hiding place, so Jeff had to explain to him that inside the box wasn't really what was on the box. The box has a really cool looking scooter on it, but inside are just some glasses of Moms (why he picked glasses, I have no idea!) . He asked me about it again yesterday when he found it again (I know, it seems like we are the worst at hiding things, but really, this is just a small apartment, and Jack gets very bored during his quiet time sometimes!). I explained to him that we'd better put it back because I didn't want my glasses to get broken. He started to put it back in the closet and asked "why are these glasses SO heavy?" What 3 year old notices things like this?

Jack has been REALLY excited for Christmas since we wrapped his presents for Jane and Jeff the other day. He says "I really want it to be Christmas so I can give Jane her present!" He has been asking every day, "Is it Christmas today?". He occasionally will bring me over a gift he knows is for me and tell me, "Happy Birthday, Mom! Open your present!", thinking this will trick me into opening it early. Last night I wrapped Janie's present for Jack and put it near the Christmas tree because it is too big and long to go under our little tree. He spotted it this morning and asked what it was. I told him it was a gift to him from Jane (he didn't really know that any of the gifts under the tree were his, so this was especially exciting). He asked me what it was and I explained to him, like I do everyday, that it is more fun to wait for Christmas and find out then. He told me that he really wanted to know what it was, and didn't want to wait for Christmas. I said "okay. I'll tell you. It's socks". He looked at the long package and said, "are they really long socks?". I stuck to my "socks" story trying to ease the excitement some. He then picked up the present for me that he is always so curious about and said, "you told me what my present was, so I'm going to tell you what yours is". I told him to go ahead, knowing that Jeff would never tell Jack a secret like this because we learned on Father's Day that Jack gets too excited to keep a secret! He looked at me like he was going to tell me exactly what it was, so much that I almost worried that he did know, and then said, "So, what did Daddy tell you it was?". Our boy is pretty clever. He ended our gift conversation by asking, "Why did Janie get me socks instead of a present?" Hopefully, he won't be too disappointed when he opens up that present to discover it is not socks!

Jeff showed Jack how to use the self-timer on the camera. Occasionally, I will look at the pictures on the camera and there are several that are obviously taken by Jack. He thinks it's great that the camera can do it all by itself! This is one that the "camera" took at dinner one night. I know, he is just so handsome. Boy, do I love this kid!

5 comments:

Tara Fears said...

LOVE the story Mindy! What a cute little boy! Have a Wonderful Christmas! Love you!
Tara

Nate said...

Children at Christmas time are just the best. Whitney's gifts are all safely hidden in our basement so no drama there, but we've had to re-arrange the ornaments on the tree. That's after Whit got a hold of one of the glass balls and licked all the finish off it before we noticed. She was covered in blue paint, but luckily she is so gentle she didn't actually break the ornament! Now anything hung within Whitney's reach is plastic and hopefully non-toxic. ;-)

Merry Christmas!
Nate

Call me Mimi said...

Hilarious! Mindy, I'm so glad you are spending your first Christmas in Thailand after talking about being their for so long. I bet you thought none of this stuff you have been writing would ever finally happen. We are so happy for you all and wish you the best Christmas! Jack is our comic relief, eh? Love you all soooo mucn!

Bethany said...

Mindy, It is so fun to follow you through Thailand. I live vicariously through you! :) Merry Christmas!

Scott said...

Scott and I got a good laugh at little Jack. It made us miss seeing his cuteness at church! Hope your Christmas was wonderful!